Saturday, August 29, 2009

Layoff Daily laid off

The grind of trying to keep up with layoffs finally sunk LayoffDaily.com.

I have removed it from the blog roll and added DailyJobCuts.com.

I actually ran layoffdaily.com for about a week and found it difficult to automate. I had to turn it back over to the founder who was also looking for a way out. It really takes 3-4 hours a day to run it and there was almost no return. Ad revenue was running about $100/month. Not a good use of time.

Anyway, sad to see it go.

3 comments:

  1. So this is where you've been hiding out. I used to check out layoffdaily for a while. I don't know if you were the one that introduced commenting to it. That's when it really died (comments were dominated by a few unruly people). That's a shame. I've since moved onto twilightpad.com. They're (sort of) doing what you were doing but with some twists. dailyjobcuts doesn't do it for me. It's static. No community there. Anyways, hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the second editor of the site. It was the third editor that added the comments. The site would have worked much better had it been completely automated, which I had done with the exception of the RSS feeds for the iPhone app. If I could have dropped the iPhone, not an option at the time I was involved, it could have been automated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a 3rd editor? LOL. I remember the first one. He was having a hard time at it, but that was when it was "hot". Then he sold it (to you). I didn't know you then turned it over to a 3rd guy. Wow.

    But I do remember the iPhone app. I didn't quite understand that part. I guess I didn't see a market for it.

    But the site went to pieces during the 3rd editor's stint. It got pretty vicious there. It was almost like a Free Republic Jr.

    I think you need to give it another shot. I dunno. I think you could have done it.

    ReplyDelete