Thursday, June 2, 2011

Apprentice to a Failed Philosopher

I've taken a great interest in George Soros recently, and especially his theories on Reflexivity and the Open Society ideas he adopted from Karl Popper. Soros has had an extraordinary life and reading his bio is interesting and entertaining in itself. I am currently reading The Soros Lectures that he gave at the Central European University.

The title of this post is a reference to Soros' self described failure as a philosopher during a certain period of his life. Part of what Soros writes that resonates with me is that I consider myself something of a philosopher, having done a great deal of studying and reading in college. Whether the subject is programming computers (my ostensible profession), investing, or playing chess, I am more of a strategist than a tactician. I have to work at tactics to enjoy success, while strategy comes more naturally.

Whatever you think of the politics of George Soros, I think he offers a lot of food for thought with both his general philosophy and in its application to investing. If I am diligent, I hope to eventually rise to the rank of failed philosopher.

No comments:

Post a Comment