Saturday, August 25, 2012

Bananas vs. Silver: Purchasing Power


I love bananas. My family usually buys some every week. I especially like the potassium to help me minimize muscle cramps. How do bananas compare with silver as an investment, and how do well do they hold their purchasing power over time?

The video above shows a time lapse of 24 days wherein a bunch of delicious bananas rot into a lumps of black mush. Not very good at maintaining purchasing power over time.

For comparison, a silver dollar minted in 1921 with a face value of $1.00 would have an inflation adjusted purchasing power of $12.80 today, according to the BLS inflation calculator. Here is a 1921 beat up silver dollar that sold for $28.39 on ebay today. There are certainly no guarantees that silver or silver dollars will keep up with inflation in the future, but it is highly likely they will retain some purchasing power.


I would invest in bananas over silver any day, as long as I planned to eat them in either the food zone or banana bread zone. If I wanted to keep some purchasing power so I could eat something on day 14+, I would invest in silver.

(disclaimer: this is not investment advice, I currently have long positions in both bananas and silver)

No comments:

Post a Comment