Thursday, February 17, 2011

iTulip link, long overdue

Eric Janszen, founder of iTulip.com is one of the most thorough, thoughtful analysts on the political economy I have read. I first discovered him in 2008 through this seminal Harper's Magazine article, The next bubble: Priming the markets for tomorrow's big crash.

It was the first time I remember seeing the acronym, FIRE (Financial Insurance and Real Estate) to describe the economy from the early 1980s through 2008. Since then, I've seen FIRE turn up in dozens of places.

My reluctance to link to it was simply because of the pay wall. Eric posts half of his analysis for free, and the other half behind a pay wall. I have paid for subscriptions in the past and plan to in the future. I think the content is worthwhile, but even if you choose not to subscribe, the free parts are still worth the visit.

FD: I have no relationship with Mr. Janszen and he will likely never be aware of my endorsement.

2 comments:

  1. From your link:

    "The next bubble must be large enough to recover the losses from the housing bubble collapse."

    Heaven help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    The idea that a $20 trillion bubble could be built in any market is hard to fathom. What could be bigger than housing, with all the attendant credit?

    ReplyDelete