Monday, August 12, 2013

Subjective Invective v.9

From the WSJ:
ATHENS—Greece's fiscal discipline efforts appear to be paying off, according to budget data released Monday, with a primary surplus that may help make the country's case for further debt relief from international creditors.

But the steep spending cuts brought about by the fiscal discipline have come at a huge price for the country. The economy contracted by 4.6% in the second quarter, albeit at a slower pace than previous quarters, raising doubts as to whether it will be able to return to growth in 2014 and start lowering record high unemployment rates.
I am not sure why economists invented the term "primary surplus", except to make government budget appear better than they are. The idea of a primary surplus or primary deficit is that it excludes interest payments on debt, and usually other real expenses such as social security payments.

The reality is that debt payments must be made, and pretending government finances are fine by excluding them is a strange exercise in fantasy. Economists nurture a similar fantasy that sovereign debt never has to be repaid, and can be rolled over forever, when there are numerous examples to the contrary throughout history.

In my opinion, Japan is still in the pole position for the Keynesian end game winner. Developed western nations are quickly following the Japanese fiscal leadership of infinite debt and economic stagnation. Don't change that dial, the finish is likely to be spectacular!

6 comments:

  1. I am not sure why economists invented the term "primary surplus", except to make government budget appear better than they are.

    I can't tell you how many times I heard the acronym EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization) in the last days at my former company. They kept telling me how the new bonus plan would be using it. I never stayed to find out how that went. I can guess though. Poorly!

    I wish I could live my life with EBODEVE (Earnings Before Our Dog's Enormous Vet Expenses).

    Yes! EBODEVE is sounding very good! Since I invented it, I'd like it to be pronounced...

    E-BO-DE-VE

    E as in tree, BO as bone, DE as in deep, and ve as in veal.

    EBODEVE! EBODEVE! EBODEVE!

    I feel better already, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stagflationary Mark,

    EBODEVE!

    I think there is an untapped market of Newspeak acronyms that need to be invented to gloss over future financial issues. Maybe the Fed has a working committee or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEWSPEAK!

    "Nothing Ever Will Sell Poorly!", Exclaims the Asset King.

    There's a code word to look for though. If you ever hear that news, sell immediately.

    NEWS PEAK!

    Hahaha! Okay, I'm a bit giddy due to lack of sleep, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stagflationary Mark,

    "News Peak" was probably some time back in the 90s when the data flow became overwhelming, unless you have an army and a few supercomputers.

    Maybe macro economic acronyms should be called "macronyms".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macronyms! LOL!

    There's also Macramé for when the macro economy gets all tied up in knots.

    Knot going to grow well.
    Knot going to create jobs.
    Knot going to keep the pension funds solvent.
    Knot going make it out of ZIRP any time soon.
    Knot going to permanently avoid the next recession.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stagflationary Mark,

    I'm knot sure what to make of that. LOL.

    ReplyDelete